On August 30th, we celebrate International Cabernet Day*, which makes it the perfect time to announce our Matchbook 2016 Estate Bottled Cabernet Sauvignon has received 90 Points & Best Buy from Wine Enthusiast, October 2018 Issue. Cheers to celebrating Cabernet, the Matchbook way!
This wine blends subtle spices with rich fruit for a seductive flavor profile. It maintains a velvety texture on the palate and through the lingering finish. Flavors of blueberry and baking spice give it plenty of personality. —J. Gordon
Get a bottle of Matchbook Cabernet, click here!
*International Cabernet Day is celebrated the Thursday before the US Labor Day, thanks to Rick Bakas, click here to find out why.
Our smooth and seductive Spanish varietal Tempranillo is the new darling of this year’s wine competitions! The 2014 Matchbook Tempranillo was awarded Triple Gold, Best of Class in the 2018 Dan Berger International Wine Competition. This is on top of the 94 points Platinum, Best Tempranillo at the 2018 Critics Challenge International Wine Competition. Cheers to scoring more than GOLD!
Here are all the results of the competition:
- Triple Gold, Best of Class – 2014 Matchbook Tempranillo
- Gold – 2017 Tinto Rey Verdejo
- Gold – 2017 Tinto Rey Rose
- Gold – 2017 Chasing Venus Sauvignon Blanc
- Gold – 2016 Black’s Station Cabernet
- Silver – 2016 Arsonist Chardonnay
- Silver – 2015 Arsonist Red
- Silver – 2015 Mossback Cabernet
- Silver – 2016 Black’s Station Chardonnay
- Bronze – 2015 Tinto Rey Super Tinto
- Bronze – 2016 Mossback Pinot Noir
July is California State Fair time. And once again, Matchbook walked away with a bunch of awards at the annual wine competition. Enjoy the fair July 13 to 29. Enjoy the award-winning Matchbook wines all year long!
2018 California State Fair Awards:
- 2017 Matchbook Rose of Tempranillo – DOUBLE GOLD, 99 Points, Best of Class of Appellation
- 2016 Tinto Rey Verdejo – Silver, 93 points, Best of Class of Appellation
- 2016 Black’s Station Chardonnay – Silver, 93 points, Best of Class of Appellation
- 2015 Arsonist Red Blend – Silver, 91 points, Best of Class of Appellation
- 2016 Matchbook Chardonnay – Silver, 91 Points
- 2016 Matchbook Cabernet Sauvignon – Silver, 91 points
- 2016 Mossback Chardonnay – Silver, 91 Points
- 2016 Black’s Station Cabernet Sauvignon – Silver, 91 points
- 2016 Arsonist Chardonnay – Bronze
- 2017 Tinto Rey Rose – Bronze
- 2015 Mossback Cabernet Sauvignon – Bronze
- 2016 Mossback Russian River Pinot Noir – Bronze
- 2016 Mossback Central Coast Pinot Noir – Bronze
- 2016 Black’s Station Malbec – Bronze
SHOP OUR AWARD-WINNING WINES!
Summer is heating up – and so are our scores in the Wine Enthusiast’s August 2018 Advance Buying Guide. We are surely enjoying this summer in the 90s!
Read our reviews:
90 Points –
2016 The Arsonist Chardonnay (Dunnigan Hills). A toasty, oaky, spicy aroma precedes equally oaky flavors that are nevertheless backed by ripe, juicy pear and ginger notes. These tones expand on the palate and linger on the finish. It’s full-bodied and broad in texture.
90 points – 2015 The Arsonist Red Blend (California). This is a concentrated and truly dry Bordeaux-style blend that has a blackberry aroma and flavors of black cherry and dark chocolate. Firm tannins and good acidity give it plenty of structure, so it will easily stand up to steaks, chops and ribs. Made from Petit Verdot, Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon.
91 points – Matchbook 2014 Estate Bottled Syrah (Dunnigan Hills). Savory aromas of burnt sage and black pepper along with beef, anise and carbon flavors make this an adventurous wine. It’s medium-bodied, not overly ripe or rich and has a tight mouthfeel due to moderate tannin and lively acidity. Editors’ Choice.
90 points – Black’s Station 2016 Malbec (Yolo County). Dark in color, this full-bodied and firmly tannic wine offers a black pepper tone with just-ripe blueberry and licorice flavors. These notes fan out on the finish and leave a ripe aftertaste. Best Buy.