Since I have always enjoyed baking for my family and friends during the holidays, I decided to test my skills and come up with my own creation for this quarter’s Wine Club recipe. One of my favorite pairings is dark chocolate and red wine, and I hope you enjoy this quarter’s recipe for “Anna’s Holiday Chocolate Bars” as much as I do! (For best results, pair it with a glass of The Arsonist Red Blend).
Speaking of perfect holiday pairings – I think most of us would agree that 2020 has been a tough year, making wine one of the best gifts you can give this holiday season! So take advantage of your 15% Wine Club discount and give the gift of Matchbook Wine. Some of my favorite gift-worthy wines are the rich and creamy 2018 The Arsonist Chardonnay, or the toasty and smooth 2017 Mossback Chalk Hill Merlot. Order your wine online or visit our tasting room now to get a head start on your holiday shopping! Let’s spread holiday cheer one bottle at a time!
Makes: (16) 2-inch bars Total prep/cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 stick (½ cup) of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking soda
- ½ cup of baking cocoa
- 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 ½ pounds of fresh raspberries
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. (I prefer convection bake).
- In a medium-sized saucepan over low heat, melt the butter with the chocolate, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool until luke-warm (5-10 minutes).
- Combine the raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once the raspberries have broken down (3-5 minutes), remove from heat and press the sauce through a fine strainer to remove the seeds.
- Cool the sauce to room temperature and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before serving.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and baking cocoa. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light and creamy (about 2-3 minutes), add the vanilla and beat well.
- Add the chocolate mixture and beat until combined, add the dry ingredients and mix well (desired texture is a peanut-butter-like consistency).
- Spread the batter evenly in a greased 8×8 pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting and serving with the raspberry drizzle.
- Enjoy with a glass of The Arsonist Red Blend!
Not a wine club member? Click here for more information about how to join the Matchbook Wine Club!