This April we chose to do something a little different for our quarterly Wine Club recipe. We teamed up with the author of The Davis Farmer’s Market Cookbook, Ann M. Evans, to bring you a delightful Spring dish that pairs wonderfully with The Arsonist 2017 Estate Bottled Chardonnay– a personal favorite of mine. I’m grateful to the talented Ann Evans for taking time to create this recipe for us and I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do!
Makes: 4 – 6 servings | Prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 bunches leeks (6 large or 12 baby leeks)
- ½ cup Matchbook Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup oil-cured black olives, pitted and chopped, about ¼ cup
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped (we used our local source – fresh eggs from winemaker Dan Cederquist’s chickens)
- Trim the ends of the leek greens, leaving 5 inches of green intact. Trim off the roots. For large leeks, cut in half lengthwise. For baby leeks, leave whole. Rinse well.
- Steam the leeks until fork tender (2 to 5 minutes).
- Make the dressing: Stir olive oil, mustard and vinegar together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove leeks from steamer and hold under cold water for a few seconds. Drain and transfer to an oval platter, arranging them so that they are all facing the same direction. Cut down crosswise through the leeks every 1 to 1½ inches.
- Pour the dressing over the leeks while they are warm. Sprinkle with chopped egg and olives. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
“The crisp and slight pungency of the leeks blend nicely with the buttery saltiness of the olives and sweet creaminess of the boiled eggs. These flavors provide a spectrum of flavor that is balanced out beautifully by a cool sip of The Arsonist Chardonnay. Pair with a grilled chicken thigh and you’ve got yourself a meal!”
– Matchbook team member and in-house taste tester, Ken Lazzaroni.
- For an additional kick, add grated Pecorino Romano cheese, a dash of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Make it a meal – pair with a grilled chicken thigh or a savory lamb chop.
- Add two generous spoonfuls of leek salad to butter lettuce cups and serve as an appetizer!
Ann M. Evans
The award winning Davis Farmers Market Cookbook celebrates America’s favorite farmers market’s 40th anniversary. Author and market co-founder Ann M. Evans invites you to shop and cook through the seasons in Northern California, or anywhere with a Mediterranean climate. The foreword by restaurateur Alice Waters of Chez Panisse highlights the importance and fun of shopping at a farmers market. The cookbook features 75 recipes organized by season in the same manner as a meal is served, beginning with appetizers, salads and soups, followed by main courses and side dishes, and ending with desserts.
For more than forty years, Ann M. Evans, former mayor of Davis, California, has helped to bring healthful eating to an ever-growing audience through her professional work with local and state governments, school districts and nonprofit organizations. In keeping with her philosophy that all children deserve a local and delicious school lunch and will benefit from garden-based learning, the net proceeds from the sales of The Davis Farmers Market Cookbook are dedicated to the Davis Farmers Market Alliance program in the schools, Davis Farm to School.
Purchase The Davis Farmer’s Market Cookbook in the Matchbook Tasting Room throughout the month of April.
Wine Club Member Price: $16.95 | Regular Price: $26.95
Not a member of our wine club? We’d love to have you! Email me at email@example.com to sign-up!