We’re saying Chardon-YAY to being on Wine & Spirits “Year’s Best, US Chardonnays” list. Our 2016 Russian River Valley Mossback Chardonnay is noted as:
“clean, smoky and firm, with notes of apple skin, tart white cherries and lemongrass.” by Joshua Greene.
Let’s drink to that: click here to get a bottle!
“Petite Sirah requires a dry climate and some heat to fully ripen, making it a great match for the Dunnigan Hills. It retains tons of acid and has a long ripening life allowing excellent hang time well into the fall. This allows for wines with great age ability.”
–Greg Giguiere, Director of Vineyard Operations
Matchbook is proud to announce a NEW varietal dressed in a newly designed label. Our inaugural release of 2016 Matchbook Estate Bottled Petite Sirah is everything you expect from this maverick red: rustic, rugged and a little sassy.
Petite Sirah: 8 Fun Facts
- Unique as a stand-alone varietal, Petite Sirah is important world-wide in warm growing regions because of its need for some heat and a dry climate to ripen fully
- Created by botanist Francois Durif in Montpellier, France around 1880 by crossing Syrah and Peloursin, and named the varietal after himself
- Imported into California by Charles McIver in the mid-1880s and renamed Petite Sirah
- Arguably one of two California heritage varietals along with Zinfandel
- Thrives in Dunnigan Hills climate – P.S. (Petite Sirah) We Love You
- Valued for its tannins, good acidity, deep color and distinctive flavor
- Appealing flavors and aromas of sugar plum, blueberry, violets, dark chocolate, black pepper and black tea
- Oak aging layers in flavors of hazelnut, vanilla and mocha
“Our Pets are incredibly rich and flavorful. They have power, force and great intensity.” –Dan Cederquist, Head Winemaker
To get a bottle visit our tasting room. Click here to visit our online wine store!
We’re proud to announce the release of our 2018 Chasing Venus Marlborough, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with intense flavors of lychee, citrus and starfruit. The bright lime-zest finish is both crisp and lingering. Pairs perfectly with shell fish, sushi, vegetable pasta or a fresh garden salad.
Coming soon to our wine store!
About the Wine
The moment the bottle is opened there is no doubt that this is a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. The 2018 Chasing Venus Sauvignon Blanc is produced from grapes grown on small family farms in the acclaimed Marlborough appellation. The McLean vineyard is located in the heart of the appellation where the free-draining alluvial soils contribute the mango and ripe green aromas, while the Comely Bank fruit is all about citrus and zest.
In 1769, Captain Cook took command of the HMS Endeavor, setting sail for the Pacific to study the passage of the planet Venus across the disc of the Sun. Little did the world know, this was a ruse for Cook’s true objective: He’d been commissioned by the British to find the mysterious and elusive “Southern Continent.” On this voyage, Cook became the first European to explore New Zealand, and he did eventually find Australia. Quite the accomplishment for a captain who was just out Chasing Venus.
For our latest Matchbook Wine Club recipe, we pair grilled Lamb Sliders with the inaugural release of our Matchbook 2016 Estate Bottled Petite Sirah. This is a go-to recipe for a casual BBQ with friends or a quick dinner at home, serve as a stand-alone or alongside your favorite potato salad.
“The Petite Sirah is a big wine that pairs perfectly with lamb sliders. A sip of Petite Sirah brings out the gaminess of the lamb, without overpowering it. It’s superb!” says our in-house taste tester Ken Lazzaroni.
Our Petite Sirah has everything you would expect from this intensely flavored grape: bold flavors, firm tannins and a lingering dark berry finish. This rustic wine calls for full-flavored fare like strong cheeses, earthy mushrooms or juicy lamb sliders.
Matchbook Wine Club members will get the first taste of our newly released Matchbook 2016 Estate Bottled Petite Sirah in this month’s Wine Club Trio.
Available now in our tasting room and online wine store – click here to buy!
- 1.5 lbs lean ground lamb (we love local lamb!)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (we love California olive oil)
- 1 cup bruschetta (make your own or purchase pre-made)
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 10 thinly sliced small squares of Havarti cheese
- 10 brioche slider buns toasted with butter
- Combine lamb, garlic, herbs, spices and oil.
- Form mixture into 10 small patties.
- Grill patties for 3 minutes on each side over medium heat. Top with cheese and cook until cheese is melted. Place patty on toasted bun, top with bruschetta and arugula.
- Enjoy! Pairs beautifully with Estate Bottled Matchbook Petite Sirah.
10 sliders | Prep Time: 35 minutes
Want more information about how to join the Matchbook Wine Club? Visit our website, click here.
Click on images to enlarge
Pair savory, homemade tacos with our delicious wines! Check out our Perfect Match Taco & Wine Pairing Guide by Matchbook Winemaker, Dan Cederquist and Masa Guisería. What will you choose?
Join us for:
Let’s TACO ‘Bout Wine! featuring Masa Guisería
Where: The Matchbook Tasting Room
When: Saturday, September 15th | 11am – 4pm
Join the Conversation on Facebook »
Can’t make it to the event? Shop the Matchbook Wine Store!